Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Work Woes


So, this picture is what I actually work on. It's not one of my "boats" but you get the idea. Most of you know (well Alex does since he's the only one other then Billy that reads this thing) that I'm deploying in November. It's going to be a six to nine months of floating around the Pacific Ocean and places I can't talk about just yet. I was chosen to go on this deployment because there was nobody left to make it. So with this being said, I had to be taken out of my detachment and put into another. Now here's were I get to toot my horn a little:

I'm the Sailor of the Year at my command. I'm the subject matter expert on about six million dollars (yes, $6,000,000) worth of gear for this detachment. Each craft costs $23 million so I've got a little chunk of the pie. I've deployed before so I volunteered to help assist with some administrative requirements for the deployment. So I go to meetings, arrange for computers, arrange for advancement exams and college courses. This in relation to my primary responsibilities are very minimal if you ask me. Anyway, I get those secondary duties (collateral's) squared away and try my hardest with my primary duties. I'm not exactly the best at it, but I try and I think I have more resources available to me to help.

With all this being said, I get yelled at by someone who didn't go to one of the meetings that wanted me to ill-advise my shipmates and make them sign up for something that certainly don't have to and if they do, they should wait for the brief that has been scheduled next month. What makes it even worse, I got my butt chewed out over an e-mail.

So with all these little things and being chewed out for them, it makes me wonder why I try to do my primary duties. If I can't get something little taken care of, how am I supposed to take care of these big ticket items? Why do I do what I do? Just takes all the motivation out of a person who was at one point the most highly motivated person in the command.

I'm praying guys...but I just don't know sometimes. Pray with me? Pray for my family? Finally, pray for the people I work for.

4 comments:

alex mclean said...

We're praying brother! I think everyone deals with bureaucracy like that at every level - of course most of us don't get our "butt's chewed", they leave that for the armed forces and construction...

Anonymous said...

Chris,
That craft looks freaking awesome man. I'd be proud to if I was gifted to work on that.

My wife and I have been and will continue to pray for you.

Chris said...

Thanks guys! We really appreciate it. I must say, this is one of the downsides of the military. I hve noticed that this leadership style is making it's way out, but it takes time vefore it's all gone!

Anyway, it's a lot of fun when you get to see these things work. Two years later and I'm still amazed!

Andy said...

Hey Chris!

I am a lurker on your blog too. I guess that just upped your readership by 33%..... :-)

Traci and I will pray for you.

-Andy (the 'fill in' bass player)

Clicky Web Analytics